In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, November 10, 2008

Suppa Club #3- Pork Roast with Three Mushroom Ragout

I know you have heard it before, but I am really bad about reading recipes. Here's my latest story...
Our most recent Suppa Club I voted for this recipe. I don't really like pork, but David loves it. I do really like mushrooms. I figured the worst case scenario I could just eat the mushrooms since there were going to be a lot of them. I figured choosing this recipe would motivate me to make a pork recipe. The day I was going to buy the ingredients I finally read through the entire recipe to discover I needed to cook this roast in a crock pot. Did I mention that I don't own a Crock Pot? At this point I was standing in the grocery store. I could not bring myself to buy a crock pot on the spot, so I put the pork roast down and decided to think about it for a few days. Then I read Molly's post about her Crock Pot not having a timer and how her pork all fell apart and decided if I was going to buy a Crock Pot that I better get one with a timer. A few days later Fred Meyer had a sale on Crock Pots and so I bought myself a brand new Crock Pot with a timer.
I never realized how expensive a blog can be! First you find yourself sending jelly to Norway, then you have to buy a Crock Pot, anther site wants me to make $135 worth of soup (don't worry David, we will not be eating $135 soup). The trouble is that it is so much fun! I am finding so many resources for recipes and ingredients.
This months recipe chosen by Ingrid was a Pork Roast with Three Mushroom Ragout from Cooking Light. The only minor changes I made were that I added a few Chanterelle mushrooms because there were only four Shiitake mushrooms left at the grocery store. I also used tomato sauce instead of crushed tomatoes because David can not eat whole tomatoes. Also eliminated the Sun-Dried ones as well.

Yield
5 servings (serving size: 3 ounces pork, 1 cup sauce, and 1 cup noodles)
Ingredients
1 (3 1/2-ounce) package shiitake mushrooms
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup canned crushed tomatoes, divided
2 tablespoons chopped fresh or 2 teaspoons dried thyme
2 (8-ounce) packages button mushrooms, cut in half
1 (8-ounce) package cremini mushrooms, cut in half
1 large onion, cut into 8 wedges
1/2 ounce sun-dried tomatoes, packed without oil, quartered (about 6)
1 3/4 pounds boned pork loin roast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
5 cups cooked medium egg noodles (about 4 cups uncooked pasta)
Preparation
Discard shiitake mushroom stems; cut caps into quarters.
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes, and thyme in an electric slow cooker; stir well with a whisk. Add all mushrooms, onion, and sun-dried tomatoes.
Trim fat from pork. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper; place on top of mushroom mixture. Pour 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes over pork. Cover with lid; cook on high heat for 1 hour. Reduce heat setting to low; cook 7 hours. Remove pork from slow cooker; cut into slices. Serve over noodles.

4 comments:

  1. Nicole- Your dish looks good. Lucky for me, pork and mushrooms are two of my favorite loves. Food blogging was originally supposed to be a free hobby, right? I understand the feeling of spending all of your hard earned money on supplies for your blog (or in your case, sending little old me a fantastic box of goodies). I don't think I will be able to find a crock pot to fit a European outlet even if I tried, so I'll be able to save a few bucks there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you get a lot of use out of your new purchase. I use mine all the time, even when I'm home all day but have too busy of a schedule. There are so many great crock pot recipes and great cookbooks devoted to the crock pot. They are also great for keeping soups or meatballs warm when having guests for informal gatherings. Your meal looks wonderful!
    Kirstin

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that it's hilarious that both you and Siri voted for the pork and neither one of you guys had crock pots and on top of it you don't like pork! I'm glad that you were able to find one on sale. Did you like the recipe? You didn't really say how it turned out for you.
    ~ingrid

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you got a new crock pot and with a timer! They really come in handy. Your Pork looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails