In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Kheeray Ka Raita

Most of our Indian meals these days have been simplified down to Tofu Tikka Masala and Naan bread. If I want to cool it down a bit I usually add a little plain yogurt. Last Sunday we had a special item (see tomorrow's post) to go with our Indian food so I decided to do it up like I used to when I first started cooking Indian food. We had both chicken and tofu in our Tikka and I even made Chickpea Fritters which I will share tomorrow. 
I always enjoy having a nice cooling raita and this one from the Ajanta Cookbook is one of my favorites. This book has a lot of other wonderful Raitas (a banana one is a favorite as well) and Chutneys and when we have company I like to make several different kinds and serve them in these pretty little square canning jars. Since it was just the two of us I only made this cucumber one.
 If you think the rest of your meal may be exceptionally spicy you can eliminate the chili pepper from this recipe as I usually do. If you do not have a food processor you can also finely chop the cucumber, cilantro, and chili pepper. 

Kheeray Ka Raita
adapted from Ajanta Cookbook

2 cups plain whole-milk yogurt
1/2 cucumber seeded and diced
1/2 cup cilantro
1 green chili pepper chopped (optional)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground toasted cumin
1/2 teaspoon paprika

In the bowl of a food processor add all ingredients and pulse for 10-15 seconds. Transfer to storage or serving bowl and store in refrigerator until ready to serve. You may sprinkle a little additional paprika and cumin on top when serving. 




Tomorrow:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails