In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, January 22, 2010

Super Easy Chocolate Cake

I recently started reading The Happiness Project. I still haven’t decided whether or not it is for me, but the task last weekend was to Toss and Organize. Believe it or not all my clothes closets were pretty organized. There is however one cupboard in my kitchen that has been driving me crazy. It is worse than the junk drawer, it is the junk cupboard. To make matters worse, I would really like to store my baking supplies there, so from time to time I have also added baking supplies to the mix. To say the least I never know what I might find in there.Well, what I found out I had was a lot of chocolate!! Milk, Mexican, Semi-sweet, White, Cocoa Powder of various Dutchness, and more bags of Ghirardelli Bittersweet chips than I could count! I go through phases with things I become obsessed with stocking up on, it seems to go along with sale items. Things like beans, tomato sauce, and obviously Ghirardelli Chocolate Chips are always purchased on sale. The problem is that I purchase them every time they go on sale.
As a reward for my hard work, I decided to give Molly’s chocolate cake another try. I actually made this cake a few weeks ago and it must not have stayed in the oven long enough and never set up. This is why I call it Super Easy Chocolate Cake. It seems that anything with words like simple or easy in the title mean I will certainly screw it up. Honestly, I have faith that you can do much better. This time I added five minutes to the baking time and this time, topped with a little Grand Marnier whip cream it was perfect!!
Super Easy Chocolate Cake
adapted slightly from Orangette

7 ounces good quality dark chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli Bittersweet)
7 ounces unsalted butter cut into small cubes
1 1/3 cup granulated sugar
5 large eggs
1 tbsp unbleached all-purpose flour

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit, and butter an 8-inch round cake pan. Line the base of the pan with parchment, and butter the parchment.

Melt the chocolate and butter gently with the butter in a double boiler or in the microwave, stirring regularly to combine. Add the sugar to the chocolate-butter mixture, stirring well, and set aside to cool for a few moments. Then add the eggs one by one, stirring well after each addition, and then add the flour. The batter should be smooth and dark.

Pour batter into the buttered cake pan and bake for approximately 25 minutes, or until the center of the cake looks set and the top is shiny and crackly-looking. Let the cake cool in its pan on a rack for 10 minutes; then carefully turn the cake out of the pan and revert it, so that the crackly side is facing upward. Allow to cool completely. The cake will deflate slightly as it cools.
Serve in wedges at room temperature with a dollop of whipped cream (a little Grand Marnier makes it really good).
BTW…I had a little help cleaning out the cupboard. Brody cleaned up the half empty peanut butter jars!

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't heard of the book, and now I'm intrigued -- I'd love to hear your thoughts when you've decided whether or not it's for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails