In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Yellow Tofu with Green Rice

Recently, I came across a site called NoTakeOut. I think it is a really great idea for folks who don't cook much. It gives you step-by-step detailed instructions including when you should pour yourself a glass of wine and what type would go best with your meal. All of the posts I have seen so far have looked really great and simple for a week night. The thing is that I actually do cook a lot and have my own way of doing things, so I found all the extra directions to be a bit distracting. I also had a hard time working with a shopping list rather than an ingredient list when it came to the actual cooking. The end product  was really great and I recommend you give it a try. I loved the contrast of the green rice with the yellow tofu. . I recommend checking out their site for other menus as well. If you do decide to make something let me know what you think.



Yellow Tofu and Green Rice
adapted from No-Take Out

2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium onions, diced
salt and pepper to taste
2 cups basmati rice, rinsed
1 lb tofu
2 teaspoons curry powder
10 oz. baby spinach  coarsely chopped, rinsed, and stemmed
1 cup fresh parsley leaves
1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup fresh mint leaves
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup mixed nuts, toasted and finely chopped

Pour olive oil in a large and deep heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions, season with salt and pepper and stir.  When the onions are translucent (about 5 minutes), add the uncooked rice and stir, add 3 cups water.  Bring the water to a boil, reduce the heat so it’s simmering, cover and cook for 15 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, put the tofu in the medium saucepan over low heat.  Add ½ cup water, 2 teaspoons curry powder and a  pinch of salt.  Stir, cover and bring to a simmer.  Simmer for about 10 minutes, shaking the pan from time to time. Remove the cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until most, but not all, the water has evaporated.
While the rice and tofu are cooking, put half the spinach in a food processor or blender and process until the spinach is minced. Add all of the herbs and the garlic clove, process to mince, then add the remaining spinach and mince.
After the rice has cooked for 15 minutes, stir in the spinach and herb puree.  Cover the rice and continue to cook over low heat for about 5 minutes until rice is tender, stir in mixed nuts.  Serve tofu over rice.

4 comments:

  1. that sounds yummy, and SO what i'll be making for dinner tonight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have to admit I'm not sure about the colour combo myself.* But...that's a gorgeous bowl you've got it in!

    *I'm sure it's delicious though

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebecca,
    It is the color that grabbed me! I can see that it might not appeal to everyone. That bowl has traveled around with me for years, I got it from a potter back in Michigan at least 10 years ago. It used to be my only dish in college.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails