In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, July 23, 2010

Kale Chips

Last night I woke up in the middle of the night. I had a funny feeling someone was watching me, my face felt warm, and what was that smell? I slowly opened one eye…and was greeted by a wet sloppy dog tongue. Arrluk waits patiently at the edge of the bed until he detects the slightest movement and then gets incredibly excited that someone is finally going to let him out. He is now big enough that his head is at perfect height for breathing in my face.
When I went to let him out I noticed something else, for the first time the upstairs hallway was dark. Not black, but dark enough that I debated turning on the light. This paired with the fact that I made my first batch of jam last week (cloudberry vanilla bean), and have a serious date with a blueberry patch this weekend makes me feel as though my summer is already coming to a close. I’m already looking at recipes for hearty fall soups and have grown tired of summer salad greens. I was happy to finally find some darker, beefier greens at the Farmer’s Market last week. I have been waiting for nearly a year to make Kale Chips and finally had my chance. I know I am a little late on the bandwagon, but if you still haven’t tried Kale Chips I recommend you give them a try soon. I used regular Kale, but next time I will try the heartier Dinosaur Kale. They almost seemed too delicate. I like a little heartier chip.

Kale Chips
adapted from Bankside and Smitten Kitchen

1 bunch  kale
1-3 teaspoons olive oil
Sea salt, to taste

Preheat oven to 300°F. Trim away the center ribs of the kale, wash and dry well. I used my salad spinner and then tossed the kale in a dish towel to get it super dry. Cut into large pieces, toss with olive oil in a bowl one teaspoon at a time until coated, then sprinkle with salt. Arrange leaves in a single layer on a large baking sheet, you can use parchment for easier clean up, but it is not necessary. Bake for 20 minutes, or until crisp.

2 comments:

  1. I have always wanted to try kale chips! Don't really know whats holding me back. This is more motivation to get my butt in gear. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy wah! How did I miss this? I just now noticed that one of my "recipes" has been "adapted"!

    I am so honored.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails