In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mexican Goddess Dressing

This could replace ketchup,sriracha, or whatever your condiment of choice might be at the moment. I really like creamy salad dressings, but lately I have been trying to eat a little healthier. The calories in Ranch, Blue Cheese, and Green Goddess Dressing add up fast when the mayonnaise and buttermilk come out. I really wasn't too sure about this recipe when I first looked at it. I just didn't think it would turn out right. Would it be creamy, and would it really be as good as Green Goddess? I had avocado standing by just in case it needed a little help, but it didn't. Honestly, I think it is better than Green Goddess. This isn't just a good salad dressing; it would also be great on meat, sandwiches, tacos, burritos, you name it. David was really excited about it too, the only complaint was that it needed some heat. So, if you like things spicy I would recommend adding a little red pepper, not too much though as I would hate to see you ruin the delicate flavor.
This stuff is so good David asked if I could make some more before I leave for Atlanta. I did, plus I doubled the recipe and included that version below. I'm not sure it helped though, we just ate twice as much of it last night.

Mexican Green Goddess Dressing
adapted from Off the (meat) hook
1 cup pepitas (raw)
1 tbsp ground coriander
1/2 cup packed cilantro leaves(stems will make the dressing bitter)
juice and zest of 2 limes
6 green onions,light green and white parts only
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1 large pinch salt
3/4 cup olive oil
water as needed

Place all ingredients in a canning jar except water in a quart size canning jar. Using an immersion blender, blend until smooth. Add cold water 1 tablespoon at a time until desired consistency is reached, up to 1/2 cup.
This post has been submitted for:
Mother's Kitchen: Spice Rack Challenge May: Coriander

4 comments:

  1. I'm always on the lookout for a lower calorie dressing. This sounds great, especially with those pepitas! And btw, I love the picture. The green dressing, the rustic bench in the background waiting patiently with a salad - delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy weekend! Don't forget to come over and share a recipe at Savory Sunday!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, great timing--I could use a new salad dressing to go with all the salad greens that are starting to pop up in the farmers mkt! (And lower in fat/dairy doesn't hurt either!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Christine- It was great meeting you. Thanks for checking out my blog. I hope you give the dressing a try. Thanks for the comment on the photo, the salad sitting in the background was actually an accident at first, but then I spied it while taking the photos and almost moved it until I took a look at some of the previous frames.

    Amanda- Happy Weekend to you!

    Mary- Hope you give it a try.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails