In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Friday, July 8, 2011

Blue Cheese Dressing


Summer, I would eat nothing but salad if left all alone. I'm serious. David and Brody (our dog) went on vacation last week. I was so excited to eat salad for dinner every single night. I guess I should specify, only salad for dinner. We eat a lot of salad when David is here, then it is just an accessory to the main meal. Anticipating a week alone I ordered Blue Cheese from Point Reyes Creamery. I have been wanting to make a classic wedge salad for a while. Really, a wedge salad is all about the dressing. In my version I used butter lettuces,  really they don't have much more flavor than a wedge of iceberg. So, it goes without saying that you want to use the best quality ingredients you can find for your blue cheese dressing. I have really been into the Worcestershire Sauce from Bourbon Barrel foods. That paired with chives from my garden and tomatoes (red and yellow) fresh from the farmers market made this salad really spectacular.

Blue Cheese Dressing
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen

1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese
2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh chives (I use kitchen shears to snip them into small pieces)
Whisk together buttermilk, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, salt and pepper. Add blue cheese and chives, stir to combine.
To make my adaptation on the wedge salad serve dressing over a small head of butter lettuces topped with multi-color tomatoes, bacon, and additional chives and crumbled blue cheese.

6 comments:

  1. I've been jones'n to make a proper wedge salad. But you're right it's the dressing! So happy to try one that has you've given your thumbs up! Oh and butter lettuce - genius. Be so much better than iceberg. You rock sista!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The dressing sounds delicious. I'm going to make it tonight for friends!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummi, it really looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your salad looks delicious. I love Point Reyes Blue Cheese. They are just down the road from us!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be the season for creamy dressings -I made a trio of them this weekend. And the next dressing I make will definitely be this recipe for Blue Cheese Dressing using Rogue Creamery's Smokey Blue -it is an amazing blue cheese!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails