In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Caramelized Cornflake Cookies

I have never eaten a Cornflake Cookie from Momofuku Milk Bar. This can hardly be called a knock-off recipe when I am not entirely sure how the original tastes. Recently, I was browsing through my recommendations from Amazon. Yes, I was browsing through Amazon recommendations even though I promised myself I wouldn't buy any more cookbooks for a while. That is when I found out that Momofuku Milk Bar is coming out with a cookbook this fall. Instantly I found myself dreaming about the Crack Pie I made a while back and all the similar things that might be in this book. Before you know it I am off and searching for other Momofuku recipes. There are a lot of sites out there where people have been re-creating their recipes. You know imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, if so this place has a lot of fans. Not being able to wait for the cookbook to come out I decided to see if I could find another recipe a try. I was browsing the bakery menu when I came across these Cornflake and Marshmallow Cookies.
I actually tried several of the knock-off versions, all were pretty similar in that they were really greasy and placed the marshmallows on top of the cookies. They may very well be more similar to the original than mine, but I decided to tweak the recipe more to my liking. The final result is a chewy, toffee like chocolate chip cookie. Not health food, but not dripping with butter either.
I actually prefer the marshmallows mixed in rather than sitting on top. In a bout of laziness I  came about this by accident when I tossed them into the mixing bowl of the stand mixer. Make sure you watch your mixer carefully using this method. If it looks like this is a little more than your mixer can take, blend in the final additions of chocolate chips, cornflakes, and marshmallows by hand. I wouldn't want you to burn out your motor.

P.S. Thanks to everyone who sent me such kind words of encouragement and best wishes about my new job. I know things have been quiet around here lately, but I want you to know that I have no intention of quitting this blog. I have been working both my new job and my old job for the entire month of July.  I'm off to the Food and Light Workshop next week. If I get a chance I'll post from Colorado. Once I come back it will be one job and one blog. I plan to get back on schedule and posting regularly. Thanks for sticking around! 
Caramelized Cornflake Cookies
inspired by Momofuku Milk Bar

Ingredients
1 cup (2 sticks)  unsalted butter, room temperature
3/4 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup (packed) golden brown sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 large egg
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
approximately 3/4 cup caramelized corn flakes (see recipe below)
1  cup chocolate chips
1  cup miniature marshmallows

Combine butter, both sugars, and corn syrup in large bowl of stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment. Beat on medium-high speed until fluffy and pale, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl, about 3 minutes. Add eggs; beat on medium-high speed until mixture is very pale and sugar is completely dissolved, about 10 minutes. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; beat on low speed just until blended, occasionally scraping down sides of bowl. Add caramelized corn flakes; mix on low speed just until incorporated. Finally, add chocolate chips and marshmallows; about 1/4 cup at a time mixing for about 3 seconds after each addition until just incorporated. If your mixer is not very powerful I recommend doing this by hand. Remove bowl from mixer.
Using 1/4-cup ice cream scoop for each cookie, drop dough onto a large rimmed baking sheet. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two hours. I found I liked the texture of the cookies better when they were only refrigerated for two hours versus 24 hours or not refrigerating at all.
Position 1 rack in top third and 1 rack in bottom third of oven and preheat to 375°F. Line 2 large (18x12-inch) rimmed baking sheets with parchment. Transfer 6 chilled dough scoops to each sheet, spacing at least 4 inches apart (cookies will spread). Bake cookies, 2 sheets at a time, until golden, reversing sheets halfway through baking, 18 to 20 minutes total. Repeat with remaining chilled dough, cooling and relining sheets between batches. Transfer cookies to racks; cool completely.  Store in airtight containers at room temperature.

Carmelized Corn Flakes
3/4 cup  corn flakes
3 tablespoons nonfat milk powder
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
3 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted

Heat oven to 275 degrees. Put 3/4 cup cereal in a large bowl. Sprinkle milk powder, sugar and salt over corn flakes and add melted butter. Toss to coat cereal evenly. Spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper (or a nonstick baking mat) and bake 20 minutes, or until deep golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside to cool completely.

2 comments:

  1. I adore Milk Bar's cookies. The cornflake one is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, those cookies sound awesome. I'm totally loving the idea of caramelized cornflakes. I bet those are good all on their own.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails