In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, September 10, 2011

Moroccan Carrot Hummus

I don't remember being such a big fan of carrots before moving to Fairbanks. In fact I don't really remember getting very excited about vegetables at the market at all. I liked them all well enough, but always took them for granted. The last vegetable I remember getting really excited about was romanesco. I remember the first time I saw it at the Port Townsend Farmer's Market. I didn't know what it was, but I had to have one. Since then I have tried it several ways, but my favorite way to eat it is still raw. It makes a beautiful presentation on a vegetable platter along with a nice dip such as this roast carrot hummus. I like adding harissa when I am serving it with romanesco as I think it pairs nicely with a little spice. If you like things a little more mild, feel free to leave it out.
These days I get excited about all the vegetables. I can't wait to see what is at the market each week. This time of year I especially love roasting all the lovely root vegetables. Not only are they delicious, but roasting them keeps the house a little warmer too.

Moroccan Carrot Hummus
adapted from Alice's Cook Book

4 carrots, washed and thickly sliced (no need to peel)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
olive oil
salt and pepper, to taste
1 fat garlic clove, roughly chopped
14 oz. can chickpeas, drained
1  tablespoon tahini
1 teaspoon harissa
extra-virgin olive oil
lemon juice, to taste

Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Toss the carrots with the cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Spread out in a roasting pan and roast until soft and charring, about 35 minutes. Let cool.
Add the garlic, chickpeas, tahini, harissa and roast carrots to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until they become a coarse puree. Add 2-3 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil and a squeeze of lemon juice, adjust flavors to your taste. Serve with an assortment of fresh vegetables and warm pita chips.

1 comment:

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails