In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, October 29, 2011

Apple Pumpkin Pecan Muffins

I have really been into the fall baking this year, in a really traditional way. Apples, pumpkins, spices, and molasses are making very regular appearances in my kitchen. I have even made hot spiced cider. I can't figure out if I am embracing winter or trying to hold on to fall just a little bit longer. It seems that I am moving pretty seamlessly through the seasons this year. These muffins are great for the end of apple season,  or the beginning of pumpkin season, or something in between. These are very durable muffins. I packed a few for David to take on the plane. The rest have been slowly disappearing at breakfast each morning. They seem to be holding up beautifully, still as fresh as the day I made them. You don't need to use walnut oil if you don't have any or just find it to be a bit too pricey. I'm honestly not sure it made a huge difference. I might actually try them with pumpkin seed oil next time as I have some left in the cupboard from another project. In any case, simple vegetable oil will also do just fine. Also, feel free to swap out the nuts with walnuts. The original recipe called for them, but I was out. The pecans great and I like them better than walnuts most of the time, although a combination of the two can be great as well. Nutty or not, these are a great morning treat.

Amazon.com
Apple Pumpkin Pecan Muffins
adapted from The Apple Lover's Cookbook

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/8 teaspoon cloves
1 cup pumpkin puree
2 large eggs
1/2 cup walnut or other vegetable oil
1 large apple (I used a Gala)
3/4 cup pecans, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
pecans for garnish (optional)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.  Grease 15 muffin cups. I used one 12 cup pan and one six cup pan, only filling three of the wells on the second pan. In a large bowl combine flour, sugars, cinnamon, salt, baking powder, baking soda, ginger and cloves. In a smaller bowl combine pumpkin puree, eggs, oil, apple, pecans, and vanilla.
Add wet ingredients to the dry ingredient, stir to combine (do not over mix as it will make the texture tough). Divide the batter equally amongst the 15 cups. I used a muffin scoop and I ended up with exactly 15 muffins. Top each with a pecan. Bake until muffins are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 22 minutes. Let muffins cool on a rack for about 10 minutes before serving.

4 comments:

  1. Made these with dinner tonight (minus the pecans) - very good! Thanks for sharing!

    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just made these (I am pregnant and craving pumpkin even though it's the beginning of spring) and they are SO GOOD. I did half regular flour and half whole wheat and also did 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup applesauce. YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. p.s. completely random but I just noticed the date for this entry was the day of my wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had bad luck with pumpkin muffin recipes lately... none of the ones I've tried have been "it"... until I tried your recipe earlier today. These are fantastic! We especially love the apple. This recipe is a keeper, and now I'm off to look through more of your site. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails