In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Monday, February 13, 2012

Strawberry Milk Punch

I love boozy ice cream drinks. It probably has to do with the fact that I was introduced to them early in life. As a kid I was always allowed to have a little taste of a grasshopper during the holidays. Little did I know there was a whole world of adult ice cream drinks waiting for me. I haven't posted a cocktail recipe here in a long time and was thinking I would post one for Mardi Gras, but then this idea came along just in time for Valentine's Day.
I once went to the opening of an art gallery where they served strawberries that had been soaked in cognac. There were little bowls of powdered sugar to dip them in. They were wonderful. I still on occasion will sneak a strawberry or two dipped in cognac if we have them in the house, and I have always wanted to make a Strawberry Cognac Jam. I had been looking at Milk Punch recipes to post for Mardi Gras. There are so many recipes out there, many of them call for Bourbon, but a few are made with Cognac. It wasn't until last week when I walked past the strawberries in the grocery store and could actually smell them that I had the idea for a Strawberry Milk Punch. It seemed like the perfect combination. Also, Mardi Gras falls so close to Valentine's Day this year, why not combine the two?   I'll warn you though, this drink is dangerously good, you might not want to share it.


Strawberry Milk Punch
inspired by Smitten Kitchen

makes 1 drink to share (or not)

8 large strawberries, tops removed and sliced
3 tablespoons powdered sugar
2 tablespoons cognac
1/2 cup half and half
1/2 cup milk
garnish: strawberry, powdered sugar, nutmeg, additional cognac

In a medium sized, deep bowl combine strawberries, powdered sugar, and cognac. Stir to combine. Use an immersion blender to puree strawberries, or alternately a regular blender. Add half and half and milk, blend until thoroughly mixed. Place in an ice cream maker bowl and process according to instructions. You do not want it to freeze up all the way, but just enough to give it a milk shake like consistency, you want to be able to drink through a straw. You could however continue to process and make ice cream if you prefer. Also, if you do not have an ice cream maker you can do it the traditional way by placing the mixture in the freezer, stirring every 20 minutes until slushy. Scoop mixture into a tall glass with a spoon. If you like, mix in additional cognac to taste. Sprinkle top with additional powdered sugar and nutmeg. Garnish with a strawberry.I recommend soaking it in cognac while you prepare the other ingredients. Share with someone special.

4 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I actually made a strawberry banana milkshake today (instead of, you know studying or doing homework), and it was delicious. I bet it would have tasted better if I added some cognac... :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, Cognac would really impede studying and homework. Thing you went the right route. I often get terrible cravings for strawberry shakes and your combination sounds almost healthy!

      Delete
  2. First, where did you get those straws?
    Second, Strawberry Congac Jam? I think my heart just skipped a beat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the straws are from here http://shopsweetlulu.com/item/Rainbow-Stripey-Straw-Mix/320/c1 and if I ever get my hands on some fresh strawberries there will be strawberry cognac jam in my future. Someday. Fresh strawberries are hard to come by here, although I do see wild ones on occasion. Maybe a small batch...keep my fingers crossed.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails