In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Thursday, June 7, 2012

7 Layer Greek Dip

A while back one of our board members brought a similar dip to one of our meetings. I have to confess that my original thought of cream cheese and hummus combined was not a good one. It turned out to be exactly the kind of thing I was looking for. Despite the fact that fresh, local veggies have not yet arrived to Fairbanks, this dip has a perfect fresh and spring like flavor.
I immediately searched  online for the recipe and when I found this one that I thought I would fancy up a bit. Maybe use fresh herbs instead of dried, and make my own hummus and homemade pita chips. In the end I just got lazy. You know what? It was still pretty good, ok really good. The only thing I would do differently next time is use fresh, warm pita triangles instead of the store bought pita chips. The dip, I won't change at all. Sometimes when life gets a little crazy it's nice to have something simple to bring to a party.
 
7 Layer Greek Dip
adapted (barely) from Better Homes and Gardens 

1 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened 
1 tablespoon lemon juice 
1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning 
1/4 teaspoon dried dill
3 cloves garlic, minced 
1 1/2 cups hummus 
1 cup chopped cucumber 
1 cup chopped tomato 
1/2 cup chopped pitted Kalamata olives 
1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese 
1/3 cup finely diced red onions 

In medium mixing bowl beat cream cheese, lemon juice, Italian seasoning, and garlic with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth and combined. Spread cream cheese mixture (use an offset spatula if you have one, it will make it so much easier) into a deep 9-inch pie plate, or shallow serving dish. Evenly spread hummus on cream cheese layer. Top with cucumber, tomato, olives, feta cheese, and red onions. Cover and refrigerate 2 to 24 hours. Serve with fresh, warm pita wedges, or chips.

2 comments:

  1. This looks delicious! I love any recipe that includes feta. It's one of my favorite cheese

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love feta and this looks so delicious! I can't wait to try it! Thanks so much for commenting on my blog. It is so nice to meet another Alaskan blogger. My husband and daughter are artists as well, he paints icons and my daughter paints in oils.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails