In Season

Spicy Sweet Onion Dip

Saturday, November 24, 2012

Meyer Lemon and Bay Posset

Oh, what a week it has been! I try and keep things light and easy here, but last week my job ended. It had been a long hard struggle trying to keep everything afloat, and in the end I was exhausted. I didn't want to see the organization go away, but I was completely burned out after only one year. Although I am so very sad to see an organization that was a vital part of the Fairbanks community go away, personally I really needed a break. We were given a few days notice to wrap up our projects and leave, in the end it all happened so suddenly. It was in the middle of all this craziness that a box of Meyer lemons arrived from Karen of the Lemon Ladies Orchard. I have been ordering lemons from Karen for as long as I have had this blog. The first thing I make every season is a batch of lemon bars, usually followed by Meyer lemon butter cookies. This year I was in the mood for something a little more comforting when my lemons arrived. I'm a big fan of creamy desserts. Puddings, custards, creme brulee, and panna cotta are all favorites. At the very end of the lemon season last year I discovered this recipe for posset. I was thrilled because so many of the recipes I make with Meyer Lemon call for far more zest than juice. Not only was it a good use of my lemon resources, but it was super easy. In fact, it was too easy. I looked at the recipe several times before I actually made it because I didn't think there was any way it would actually set up, but it does. It turns into the most lovely, light, lemony cream. It reminds me a little of panna cotta, but lighter in texture. Last year I tinkered with the recipe trying to add a little depth to the flavor, but everything I tried messed with the magical setting properties and I always ended up with a runny posset. Also, in my experiments last year I discovered that neither orange or lime juice sets up as well as the lemon either. This year Karen sent a bunch of fresh bay leaves from the huge tree in her front yard. I love the smell of fresh bay, but I find too much can be overpowering as a flavor. I dropped one small bay leaf into this batch of posset and it gave just a little something extra. It reminded me of that day I visited Karen in California, the smell of lemon and bay leaves surrounded her home. Like they always say, what grows together goes together and in this case it couldn't be a better combination.
Thanks to everyone who has wished me well on my transition. I know that there will be new and exciting things just around the corner. Until then you will find me in my kitchen with Meyer lemons, not a bad place to be.

Meyer Lemon Posset
adapted from Food52

2 cups heavy cream
2/3 cup sugar
5 tablespoons Meyer lemon juice
1 small bay leaf

Combine heavy cream and sugar in a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Watch carefully to make sure that the cream does not boil over at any time during the process. Once the cream reaches a boil, turn down heat and add the bay leaf. Let simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, remove the bay leaf, and add the lemon juice. Let cool for 10 minutes, then pour into four ramekins. Cover ramekins and place in fridge overnight, or about 4-5 hours until set. Serve cold.

4 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about your job!

    The posset sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tammy. I truly believe these things happen for a reason. I see good things on the horizon.

      Delete
  2. I was sorry to hear of the closing of you job. Frustrating, I'm sure.
    I'm looking forward to the arrival of my own box of Meyers - this looks like a great recipe to try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It is frustrating, but there is a lot of opportunity coming my way and I am excited for the next chapter of my life. I'm so sad about the organization though, such an integral part of the community.
      Did you order lemons from The Lemon Ladies? You must make the lemon bars I have posted. It is one of my earliest posts, so the photos aren't so good, but I promise the recipe is a keeper.

      Delete

Thank you for stopping by and sharing your comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails